7/11/07

Working Long Hours

Since I commute a long distance to work, I don't see the kids a whole lot during the week. I leave the house before they wake up, and often I get home after they go to sleep (sometimes I get home early enough to put them to bed - which my wife is always grateful for). Since I work in the world of Online Media, there aren't many employment options for me out in the burbs. Most of the major media companies in the region are located in New York City.

This is a tough dilemma. I want to make sure I am advancing my career appropriately and earning as much as I possibly can for my family. But on the other hand, I don't want to be just a weekend dad. I want to be a regular fixture in my kids' lives. They mean the world to me, and I want to be with them as much as possible.

What do other dads out there do in similar situations? I'd love to know.

No comments: